Monday, March 12, 2012

Home Made Vanilla Extract!



YUMMY!!!!!!!! I recently found out you can make home made vanilla extract, I bake ALOT and go through insane amounts of Vanilla so of course I had to try this making it home made thing. it is so simple a monkey could do it. All you need is 2oz glass bottles with lids, whole vanilla beans, & Vodka. If you have ever purchased Vanilla Beans you know they are expensive if you buy them at the grocery store (2 beans is around $15) I looked online and found tons of awesome deals on Amazon. I purchased 16 whole Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans for a fraction of the cost if I had purchased them 2 at a time at the store. I also found a great deal on 12 pack of glass bottles with lids. 

Directions
Slice your beans down the middle, cut the bean length wise in 1/2 so it fits in the bottle.
Use a Funnel to pour the Vodka into the bottle. Seal with the lid and let sit in a cabinet for 2 months. Voila ready to use!  When you use some out of the bottle just replace what you used with more Vodka, your bottle should last roughly a year maybe longer depending on how much you use and refill, you will know when the taste has weakened.

I also put on of my beans in a jar of Sugar for Vanilla Sugar. This only takes about 48 hours for the sugar to become flavored. I also stuck a sliced bean in a jar of coffee. Not sure how it will turn out but what the heck worst case I keep using creamer LOL!

If you try this I would love to know how it turns out! You can buy labels and write down the date so you know when it was made and when it will be ready. I am going to go buy some labels tomorrow. These bottles will also make super cute gifts. I know my Mom is super excited!

Any bets on if I can actually wait the two month to try it or if I use it early? Patience is not my strong suit! :p 


2 comments:

  1. OOOh... I have a Kalula recipe for you since you have some vanilla beans already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhhh I didnt someone could Make that! I have 3 Vanilla Beans left :D

    ReplyDelete